Tuesday, November 27, 2012

2 weeks post op

So it's already been two weeks. I can't decide if this recovery has gone really quickly or if it's just agonizingly slow. I'm impressed with how quickly the body can heal, but at the same time I'm really annoyed with how long it takes to recover! I don't know how to explain it. 

1- Day before surgery.
 2- Six days pot op.
3- Ten days post op. 
4- Two weeks post op
AT 2 WEEKS:
  • I feel sick. All the time. I'm sure this has to do with the fact that I don't eat. Like at all. Ok I do, but I'm only eating 3 meals a day, and no snacking in between each meal. I know, right!
  •  I only get one hour with my bands off. This seems like it should be alright, but when you actually think about it, it stinks. Eating is a hard thing to do when you have a gazillion stitches in your mouth, and you can only open so wide.
  •  I am only able to open my mouth wide enough to fit a pill. This makes eating the smallest thing, the hardest task. Then while I am eating my tiny little bites, I have to be careful to not let my braces catch on my stitches and rip them (which has been happening a lot) Then when I am done, I have to brush my teeth and put my bands back on. Probably 5 minutes out of that hour is me avoiding the stitches tearing. 5 minutes cleaning the food out of the hard to reach places of my mouth. And 10 minutes brushing, rinsing, and putting the bands back on.  Resulting in my eating time being only 40 minutes, and in that time, only getting 4 bites of potatoes and half a Cheeto in my mouth. I'm not getting full when I eat, and in fact I dread it. It's such a painful and long process, I don't know if it's even worth the 4 bites!
  •  I hurt and am emotional, and I'm not patient.  I am ready for all of this to be over. I am happy with how I am looking so far (It's hard to tell at the stage) and the swelling has gone down a lot more! but it is definitely still there :( I went to see my surgeon today and he said that the swelling is usually gone by week 6. Only 4 more weeks to go! 

  • I got the ok to chew today! Nothing harder than over cooked Macaroni, but still, it's progress! 2 more weeks and I'll start taking my bands off for longer periods, to exercise my jaw. Apparently this will help it get strong and be able to open wider. Still no chewing hard things though. What does everyone eat during this period?? I don't know how much more soup I can stomach. Maybe I'll order ToFu tomorrow. Switch things up a bit.
  •  I have been having really bad headaches, most likely from the change of diet. And I am still not sleeping well at night. Baths have saved me though. They really help me relax. And does anyone else hate wearing make up at this point? I mean, I feel crappy and don't have energy to go anywhere anyway... why bother putting makeup on the numb face? Okay, maybe I'm just a nasty person, lol. Please tell me I'm not alone though? I hate my face being touched right now! It's all numb and weird. Haha.
  • I'm also drooling all over the time too. I'm pretty sure I'm scaring the children in my neighborhood when I try to say hi, not to mention their parents. THIS is me right now. Really fun to laugh at, but really pathetic too. Lol

To anyone who is going to get this surgery, don't let me freak you out. I don't know if anyone else goes through this... Does anyone else go through this??


And to anyone who is also on week two, and finding yourself not adjusting as easily as everyone else in the jaw surgery world, THIS is for you. I found myself laughing so hard I had tears rolling down my cheeks. Again, this could be due to lack of sleep and food. Also, I'm not a kid hater, so don't judge. Only judge the kids.. because it's hilarious.

When I start feeling better, I'll post more tips and more useful information on jaw surgery. I'm still trying to recover and figure things out though. Thank you for sticking with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment